Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I'm not delusional, I'm an entrepreneur

Entrepreneurship is regarded very highly today, especially among the youngsters(including me!)
It helps our economy, empowers the people, self employment is always good, more jobs, more responsible citizens. It's really great!
But how many times have we heard an idea and just thought to ourselves "That's the stupidest thing I've heard"? Sometimes, just sometimes, they work. Most of the times they fail.



But never does it stop us. Which is again good, try and try till you succeed.
Here's where I see the problem, it's this obsession with being an entrepreneur. 'I don't know what I'm good at, I don't know what problems I can solve, I don't know what I can do, all I know is that I will be an ENTREPRENEUR'. This is a problem. A problem becoming so big, there's a ton of people dropping out of school or college with just one thing in mind, you guessed it, "I will be an Entrepreneur". It's not even I "want" to be an entrepreneur. I WILL be one.

They are risk takers, brilliant! "I take risks, I'm cut out to be an Entrepreneur". With no experience, no base for even taking that risk, no idea what they're gonna do. I see people today spending an hour on the internet and voila! I'm ready! It's borderline stupid, it really is!
But it is something I did too! But without the obsession. I didn't even care about entrepreneurship, that's how clueless I was! Started my company in 1st year of college and worked all the while after classes, between classes and even before classes. It was crazy, but never once did dropping out come to my mind because the facts were that I had a 95% chance of failure, statistically. Nobody would fund me because I had no experience, didn't even have a degree yet. So I stayed on and completed. That's 1 thing I believe I did right. Completed my education.
But here we are, with hundreds of youngsters, dropping out, discontinuing education and discarding it as unnecessary for, they aren't delusional, they're Entrepreneurs. These are people in good schools and colleges, pursuing well respected and quite frankly required degrees. I mean, what are the chances you will hire someone without a degree and without a clue? Because, truth be told 9 out of 10 entrepreneurs move on to a 9 to 5. And this isn't because they enjoy working for others, it really is because they don't have any other choice. But are these so called entrepreneurs even eligible for a 9 to 5? There's too much competition and too little scope to succeed on your own. And a backup in the form of a degree and some experience is something you just can't ignore anymore. And even more than being a backup, work experience is something that will help you realize what works and what doesn't in the world outside your own mind! Which is the world you need to go out to and become an entrepreneur in.

I'm all for entrepreneurship, but lets at least be smart about it. Rather, be real about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am an entrepreneur and digital marketer (I like the word evangelist, but I'll just stick to Marketer for now). I'm not gonna be writing on a particular topic, just whatever I feel like!