Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Internet of Everything?? Hmm..

The Internet of Things, or the Internet of Everything as Cisco calls it.

It's smart, it makes your life simpler, it warms up your car before you need to use it(cools it down in India), remembers your daily routine so you can be more efficient at everything, tells you where your kids are at all times, knows when someone is inside your house, knows just how long you will take to get back home, controls all your electronics and even locks with your smartphone. All this is already in place, there is a lot more to come.

Sounds good? Not to me!

Allow me to put this another way. It's probably smarter than you, it tracks and remembers every single activity you perform everyday, it know exactly when your house is empty and how long it's going to be that way. Sensors and cameras all over your house controlled by a computer, a computer which can be accessed remotely. It knows what route I take home everyday, where I stop, what I do there, who I meet! It knows exactly where your kids are at all times and who they are with. Your entire house is linked to your phone, security, lights, doors, windows, oven, curtains, everything. How many phones have you lost? How secure is your phone?

All this information and more about you and your life is somewhere in the 'Cloud'.

I love technology and I love the internet. But, do I really want the internet to know even the most intimate details about my life? To track every move I make? For "IT" to have access to my house, my car, my life?
I don't think I'm ready for this yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am an entrepreneur and digital marketer (I like the word evangelist, but I'll just stick to Marketer for now). I'm not gonna be writing on a particular topic, just whatever I feel like!